Funerals in Australia can be quite expensive and while it may not be up there with the cost of weddings, it can certainly put a dent in your pocket.
The emotional side of things can double the burden and make the process feel incredibly overwhelming.
You will want a funeral tribute to celebrate your loved one’s life and be memorable but without having to worry about finances.
There are ways to keep funeral costs down whilst still giving your loved one the ceremony they deserve.
Here is a breakdown on the cost of a Cremation in Brisbane:
Cremations vs Burials
Recent data from the National Funeral Directors Association shows that there were more cremations than burials in 2015.
In Australian cities, cremations now account for about 80% of all funerals. Cremations are also generally less costly than traditional burial services.
- The average cost of a funeral in Australia can range anywhere from AUD$2,395 for a basic cremation to AUD$15,000 for a lavish burial that includes casket, flowers and additional services.
- You will also have to factor in the rising cost of burial plots which range from AUD$2,970 to AUD$4,800, depending on the cemetery, plus the cost of grave upkeep and labour.
Traditional Cremations and Direct Cremations
Traditional cremations in Brisbane typically involve the funeral service at a chapel or church, followed by the cremation.
- You will have to pay more for a casket and additional funeral services if you choose to have a viewing before the cremation itself.
- Direct cremation is where the body is cremated very soon after the death, usually within 48 hours, without a funeral service.
- Direct cremations remain the cheapest funeral option and your family can still opt to arrange a memorial service for your loved one following the direct cremation.
- Our compassionate team at Newhaven Funerals know making these decisions is hard.
We can help you with all your funeral arrangements from memorial service to urn selection, giving you the peace of mind you need during this very emotional time.
A Ceremony to Remember
The passing of a loved one is difficult as it is and the last thing you want to do is compromise their memory due to cost.
With the increasing price of burials, cremations in Brisbane are now the most cost-effective option, yet remain as tasteful and respectful as a traditional burial.
Let Newhaven Funerals help you throughout this process, contact us at any time for additional information, one of our fully trained and experienced local funeral directors is always on hand on 1800 644 524.
You might find our previous post How Much Does a Funeral Cost of assistance
Article by Tim Connolly – Funeral Director Newhaven Funerals Brisbane & Gold Coast
Tim Connolly – Funeral Director Newhaven Funerals Brisbane & Gold Coast.